Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Slick Rock trail, Moab


This is the first thing you see as you actually enter the trail head from the parking lot. Kind of gets your attention, doesn't it? Not only have I not been here before, But I was by myself, not in the best cardio shape, and I managed to catch a cold yesterday. Most people said" when you get there, just hook up with somebody on the trail" OK, sounds good. I get to the trail at 7 AM this morning, not a soul in sight. There was one car already there, with no owner in it. Now, This may seem like a dream. Having slick rock all to myself as the sun comes up? Ya, that part was cool. The part that wasn't was if I fell I was fucked. At this instant, there is the smart decision, and then theres the stupid one. I don't have tell any of you which one I chose. And it was the best damn decision I made all week....heres some pics....This was by far the best ride i've ever done. I didn't have the wind to do the whole 12 mile loop, but the short ride was sure worth it. This is definetly a place i'll come back too. The best advice I can give is to go early. It was about 68-70 degrees and watching the sun come up was incredible. The other thing that catches you off guard on your first ride here, is how much traction your tires actually get. I over shot a few turns out of habit. But once you get used to how much your tires stick, you can really get some speed and carve some turns. Don't forget, even though it's called slick rock, it's actually sandstone ( think fine grit sandpaper). So it can be your best friend if you stay on your bike, or your worst enemy if you fall. The saying around here is" when you fall on single track, you leave an imprint on the dirt. When you fall here, the rock leaves an imprint on you." It's the truth. I'm glad I didn't have an expierence with the latter. So know i'm off to hike the Arches national park. I should have some great shots for you guys there as well. Then tomorrow it's off to yellowstone. Till next time......

No comments: